Raise your hand if mornings are a time of utter chaos for you...yep, just as I thought.
Sometimes even with the best intentions, our mornings can get off on the wrong foot. We overslept because we kept hitting the snooze button. We’ve scoured the closet and can’t find anything to wear that doesn’t need to be cleaned or ironed. We swore up and down there was cereal in the pantry, just to find out there’s none left and you have to go to work hungry. And if you have kids, the multitude of things that can go wrong in the morning are endless.
Now, I’m a HUGE fan of having a morning routine to set the tone for my day. I could seriously go on and on about how you too should implement a morning routine, but that’s another post for another day. This post is to let you know the ONE thing you need to do to have a stress-free morning.
And that is to AUTOMATE THE NIGHT BEFORE.
That’s right. AUTOMATE THE NIGHT BEFORE.
When I say automate, I mean you should plan out your morning the night before to alleviate the need to make decisions. One of the reasons we’re so stressed in the morning is because we have to constantly make decisions. Although some decisions may seem minor, in the grand scheme of things, they take up time and get in the way of us having a stress-free morning. By alleviating the need to make decisions, once you wake up, you can go on autopilot and zip through your morning with ease.
Here are some examples of how you can automate the night before:
- Pick out what you plan to wear- Have your clothes, shoes, socks and any accessories already laid out and easily accessible.
- Figure out what you’re going to have for breakfast- If you want to have a bowl of cereal, have the cereal box already on the counter with the bowl and the spoon you plan to use.
- Make it easy to find things- If you like to read or journal in the morning, have the book already out and bookmarked. Put a pen by your journal so you don’t have to go looking for one in the morning. Place your car and house keys in the same place at all times. Have your workout clothes and shoes already out so you can just put them on.
- Pack all bags- All lunches should be packed and placed in the refrigerator. Work bags should be packed and placed by the door so you can just grab them when you leave out the door.
- Gas up- It’s a wonderful feeling to be able to just get in your car and go to your destination. Don’t add more stress to your morning by having to stop and get gas first. Gas up at night.
Can you think of any other things you can automate the night before? Let me know in the comments below.